This simple question usually prompts a light hearted response along the lines of “yes, I’m well thank you” but for many people, finding a deeper form of wellness is the Holy Grail. In this newsletter, we’ll take a look at wellness and give you some tips on how to be well and stay well.
Wellness is an active, lifelong process of becoming aware of choices and making decisions toward a more balanced and fulfilling life.
Psychology types have broken down wellness into seven dimensions. The seven dimensions of wellness represents the full integration of states of physical, mental and spiritual well-being.
Each of the seven dimensions act and interact in a way that contributes to your quality of life.
The seven dimensions of wellness gives us a useful framework for thinking about our wellness, and can help us identify dimensions where things aren’t so good. Ask yourself the questions below, each one relates to one of the seven dimensions of wellness.
- Physical – do you make positive choices with regards to your diet, physical activity and sleep?
- Occupational – how happy are you in your chosen occupation?
- Intellectual – are you open to new ideas and ways of thinking?
- Emotional – do you listen to your emotions and accept that life will sometimes be disappointing and frustrating?
- Environmental – how satisfactory is your environment? We require clean air, pure water, quality food, adequate shelter, satisfactory work conditions, personal safety, and healthy relationships.
- Spiritual – do you feel a sense that there is meaning in life?
- Social – do you interact comfortably with others, both within and outside the family unit?